Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have irregular periods and sharp pain in my ovaries, is there something wrong?"

ZocdocAnswersI have irregular periods and sharp pain in my ovaries, is there something wrong?


I'm 18 and have been cycling for 5 years almost 6 years, and I have never had a clue when my period would begin about 2 years ago I started having sharp pains in the region where my ovaries are when I move slightly the pain is strong and well this is the second time in the past 6 months my cycle has been longer than 45 days last time I knew there was no possibility I could be pregnant since I hadn't had sex in months and had periods before and now it's been 46 days and I have had unprotected sex, so the the day before I took a at home pregnancy test that was negative, I don't know is it time to make an appointment with an OB GYN?


It is definitely time to make an appointment with your OB GYN doctor. They will be able to help you figure out what is going on. First, excluding pregnancy is an important first step, since you did have unprotected sex. The urine pregnancy test is quite good, but it is not sensitive if you have had sex in the last week or two, because the test will still not be positive this early in a pregnancy. Your doctor, when you go to see them, can advise you on whether or not it is necessary to repeat the test. Assuming this is excluded, there are several common causes of irregular periods and pain with periods in your age group. Two of these are polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis. Also, in many cases, it is necessary to exclude sexually transmitted infections. Your OB GYN doctor will perform a complete physical examination, which will include a vaginal exam looking for discharge, inflammation, and pain. After this exam is done, they will probably want to get other tests as well, which will likely include some blood and urine samples as well as an ultrasound of the pelvic organs. Based on what they find, they should be able to give you more detailed advice.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.