Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I reduce under-eye puffiness?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can I reduce under-eye puffiness?


I have under eye puffiness and I interested in knowing what are my treatment options.


Under-eye puffiness is a very common problem that can be a cosmetic concern for many people. The skin under the eyes is very delicate and thin, which allows the veins to show through, giving a dark discoloration. As we age, the skin becomes even thinner, allowing this discoloration to become more prominent. This can be accentuated even more by age-related sagging of the skin at the same time. It is worth going to see your primary care doctor because there are a couple of medical problems that might make the problem worse, including chronic nasal or seasonal allergies. If there is any evidence of allergies, it is worth treating them for a while, because often clearing up the allergies will also make the skin under the eyes appear less dark and less puffy. On the other hand, if there is no evidence of this, then your options include using makeup or skin creams to try to improve the appearance or consulting with a dermatologist or a cosmetic surgeon. They will be able to discuss the more invasive treatment options, which include injecting fillers, laser-based skin treatments, and surgery itself. Again, please discuss with your doctor. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.