ZocdocAnswersCan stringy, thick, brown discharge be a sign of pregnancy?

Question

Can stringy, thick, brown discharge be a sign of pregnancy?

I am on a low dose birth control and had sex one week ago. My OBGYN said this is probably from being off the birth control last month for five days- but I finished one pack and had my period october 6. I started my new pack october 11th. could this be pregnancy or left over from my last period?

Answer

Since you had a normal period this month already, this makes a pregnancy quite a bit less likely. However, I do agree that persistent brown discharge needs to be investigated a bit more closely. Probably going back to see your OB GYN doctor about the issue makes the most sense. There are many different causes of vaginal discharge. Sometimes vaginal discharge can be 'physiologic' --meaning not caused by any medical problem. However, many times, a vaginal discharge is a sign of a vaginal infection, and this is probably the thing that your doctor will focus on in the examination. Some of the potential infections that can cause vaginal discharge include sexually transmitted infections like gonorrhea, chlamydia or trichomonas. In addition to discharge, there may also be odor or pain with urination. Other vaginal infections that are not specifically sexually transmitted include yeast infections (which tend to give a more whitish discharge than what you are describing) and bacterial vaginosis. Many times these infections can be diagnosed or ruled out with a physical examination and with examining a sample of the vaginal discharge under a microscope. Additionally, urine or vaginal tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea can be sent off. Please make an appointment today!