ZocdocAnswersWhy do I blush and turn red so easily?

Question

Why do I blush and turn red so easily?

if im in class i turn red for nothing. i talk to a lot of people and if the teacher says something that doesnt even have to do with me i still turn red. idk why

Answer

Blushing occurs when small blood vessels in the skin dilate, leading to an increase in blood flow (and pink or red color) to the area. Exactly what triggers blushing is not always clear, but we do know that it is a common symptom of anxiety or stress or embarrassment in social situations. Also, very rarely, blushing may be a sign of a serious medical problem involving circulating chemicals in the bloodstream that dilate the blood vessels and raise the blood pressure. A good place to start therefore would be seeing your primary care doctor, who can rule out the serious medical causes. If these are ruled out, this will make blushing as a sign of anxiety or stress more likely. In this is the case, then seeing a professional, such as a counselor or a psychologist, to help you deal with your stress response or your social anxiety would be a good step, especially if you find that the blushing impairs your ability to function in social settings. They will be able to help figure out what the factors in your life that are causing the anxiety are and how best to address them. Make an appointment with your doctor today!