Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Should I have this bruise-like mark looked at?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I have this bruise-like mark looked at?


for about a month now (it might have been longer but i only noticed it a month ago) I have this mark that looks like a bruise (but it doesn't hurt....the only reason i even noticed it was there was because i felt it when i accidently brushed my fingers by that area) on my back leg. It's near my butt area. It's more brownish red like a light bruise i think (i have a hard time seeing it in the mirror) and slightly raised. its not super big - slightly longer and width than/of two fingernails. i dont know what it could be or if its something to even be worried about. im constantly finding random marks but its never lasted so long or in this manner. if it means anything, ive recently started being sexually active. please help.


I would definitely have this spot on your skin checked out by either your primary care doctor or by your dermatologist. The first thing your doctor will be able to determine is if this is a bruise and, if so, if you have any other signs of bruising or bleeding elsewhere on your body. This is an important thing to figure out, as there are several different disorders that can lead to easing bruising and bleeding. Assuming this is not a bruise, then the next important thing will be to make sure this is not a form of skin cancer. New marks on the skin that do not go away or that grow or change need to be checked out for this reason. The most serious form of skin cancer is something called melanoma and, although most melanomas are black or blue in color, sometimes they can be brownish or reddish in color. If your doctor suspects a skin cancer, they will want to set you up to have a biopsy of the skin are. This is often something that can be done quickly in an office setting, depending on the size of the spot. Please set up a visit with your doctor as soon as you can.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.