Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is causing pain where my esophagus meets my stomach?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing pain where my esophagus meets my stomach?


So where my esophagus meets my stomach it's been bothering me a lot for about 3 months,and i'm scared if i have cancer or a tumor i have gotten very bad anxiety because of this.Iv'e been to the doctors like about 4 times already he tested me for h pylori and it came out negative which was a relief.He prescribed me a medicine named Omerprazole but didn't work so he gave me another one called Radinine it actually worked really good for but i stopped taking it because i thought it was making my stomach bleed because last week i i think i threw up blood but not sure if it was blood because that day I had strawberry juice and chilli and the liquid I threw up was light red.So far right now i still have some little discomfort where my Esophagus meets my stomache and it bothers me the most when i don't eat night time and morning time.I also have lots of nausea but only during the night time.Should i be worried im really scared?


I strongly suggest that you follow up with your doctor about this. It sounds like you have been being treated for gastroesophageal reflux disease, which is typically treated with anti acid medications like omeprazole or ranitidine. Both of these are excellent and safe medications, and it is important to continue taking them as directed by your doctor, because if you discontinue them then it will be more difficult to determine whether or not you have persistent symptoms resistant to treatment or persistent symptoms from not following the treatment. Your doctor should also know ASAP about the episode of questionable red-tinged liquid with vomiting, as ruling out bleeding is also very important. In addition to gastroesophageal reflux disease, other things can also cause pain in this area of the stomach, including ulcers. Since you have already been tested for H pylori, which is a common infection that can cause these, then the next step (assuming you do not respond to treatment with the anti acid medications) would be referral to see a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist will probably recommend an endoscopy, which is a procedure in which a small camera is inserted down your esophagus and into your stomach. This procedure can help better define exactly what is going on and what additional treatments might be needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.