ZocdocAnswersHow can I heal an injury to my penis head caused by masturbation?

Question

How can I heal an injury to my penis head caused by masturbation?

I'm uncircumcised and never have had a problem like this. I have what looks like a bruise caused by masturbation. It hasn't gotten better after a week and it seems like there is some chaffing on top of it. It's on the head of my penis, right where the webbing between my thumb and index finger would grip it. I've gone up to two days without masturbation, but it still isn't going away. What are some options to help it heal? Should it just be left alone for a longer period of time? It doesn't show any signs of infection and the pain is minimal. It hasn't gotten much worse, but it's just not getting any better.

Answer

I would make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss this issue. The first thing that needs to be sorted out is whether this is a bruise or some other kind of lesion, such as an ulcer or an area of inflammation. If your doctor determines that it is just a bruise (which would be quite unusual) then the likely solution will be to allow the area to heal completely, which includes avoiding masturbation until the spot is totally resolved. On the other hand, there are some other possibilities to be ruled out. For example, if the area is ulcerated in any way, then it might be a sign of sexually transmitted infection, such as syphilis. There are also several inflammatory skin conditions, including psoriasis and eczema, which can affect the penis. Finally, in rare cases, a darkened spot on the skin might represent a melanoma, which is a serious form of skin cancer which can affect any part of the body. Your doctor will be able to narrow down the list of potential causes and help decide whether you need additional testing or treatment, so please make an appointment to be seen as soon as you can!