ZocdocAnswersMy knee has started to hurt. Is it sprained?

Question

My knee has started to hurt. Is it sprained?

To the point where it hurts to walk on or bend. My friend kicked my leg from the back to get me to fall over, but now my knee is beginning to hurt, is it sprained? It hurts anytime I really move it, and it's been like this for 3 days. But there's no signs of swelling as far as I can tell.

Answer

You should definitely go to see your primary care doctor about this as soon as you can. Any injury to the knee that results in significant pain and trouble walking or bending the knee needs to be investigated. A sprain is the most likely possibility. A sprain occurs when the ligaments that protect and stabilize the knee joint are stretched too much. The symptoms include pain, swelling, and difficulty moving the joint. However, there are also other possibilities, including damage to the knee meniscus or even a fracture of a bone. Your doctor will be able to perform an examination of the knee and determine whether you need any specific workup, such as x-rays of the knee. Then, after this, they will be able to give you advice on what to do to help the knee return to normal. This might just involve physical rest, ice, elevation, and anti-inflammatory medications. Sometimes, however, other therapies might be needed, such as a knee immobilizer. If there is a severe sprain or a fracture, your doctor will want you to be evaluated by an orthopedic specialist for further treatment and follow up. Make an appointment with your doctor today. I hope that you are feeling better soon!