Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I had unprotected sex and took the plan b pills - should i take another pill?"

ZocdocAnswersI had unprotected sex and took the plan b pills - should i take another pill?


I had unprotected sex and took the plan b pills the day after both at the same time the same day i had sex and the condom broke he pulled out but im still scared. Should i take another pill? He pulled out both of the times, i just stoped my birth control last month.


Plan B is an effective way of preventing pregnancy after having unprotected sex. Usually, Plan B is taken as two doses 12 hours apart. Occasionally, a doctor might recommend taking both doses at the same time (this sounds like what you did), and this is also effective although it tends to cause more side effects, like nausea. However, it is important to remember that Plan B is not perfect. It prevents pregnancy in about 90% of cases, meaning that it does not prevent pregnancy in the other 10% of cases. For this reason, it is always important to follow up with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor after taking Plan B, as they will be able to rule out a pregnancy. Keep in mind also that a pregnancy test will not be immediately positive after having sex, so it may need to be repeated in a few weeks. Your doctor will also be able to provide you with additional advice about how to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Unfortunately, condoms are one of the least effective methods because they can break, slip off, etc. If you want to have more security than that provided by condoms, your doctor can discuss the other contraceptive methods available to you (in addition to the birth control pills which you have already tried). Make an appointment with your doctor today.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.