I have a "popping" in my lungs. What's wrong with me?

I get a popping sound and feeling when i breathe in and out and it hurts. i also have asthma and i smoke whats wrong with me?
You should definitely go see your primary care doctor about these issues. There are several different potential causes, but I would first and foremost be worried that your asthma is acting up. An asthma flare can lead to a wide range of symptoms, including pain with breathing, chest tightness, wheezing, etc. Asthma can be life-threatening if it is not properly controlled. Also, I'm concerned about your smoking, especially in the setting of asthma. The combination of having asthma and continuing to smoke can be a big problem. Smoking alone can predispose to pneumonia, bronchitis, and other lung problems, and these on top of asthma can be quite serious. In addition to ruling out an asthma flare, your doctor will also be able to rule out any serious lung infection. This might require a chest x-ray or additional testing. Also, at this same visit, I think it would be a good idea to discuss the possibility of quitting or reducing your smoking. There are many effective medications and other treatment strategies that are available to you to help with this, and your doctor will be able to describe these to you in detail. Make an appointment with your doctor today. I hope you are feeling better soon.

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723