ZocdocAnswersBad digestion, muscle spasms, fainting and overheating?

Question

Bad digestion, muscle spasms, fainting and overheating?

I have a very healthy lifestyle, but for some reason I have a lot of trouble with my digestion, I get diarrhea or constipation easily, pains in the stomach at least once a day after eating and I'm nearly always bloated. Sometimes after I eat, I start overheating, which is usually accompanied by a headache and an extremely itchy nose. I also get noticeable random muscle spasms and feel like I'm going to faint at least a couple of times a month and I have actually fainted and collapsed from my legs giving way at least 4 times this year. So what could this be?

Answer

These symptoms sound quite complex, and they may not all be related to each other. For this reason, a visit to see your primary care doctor is definitely in order, and you should set that up as soon as you can. The intestinal symptoms you describe could be caused by a range of disorders, including a food intolerance (like lactose intolerance, or celiac disease), inflammatory bowel disease, or irritable bowel syndrome. The other symptoms you mention, such as overheating, muscle spasms, and fainting could be caused by numerous conditions, including electrolyte imbalances, thyroid trouble, trouble with blood sugar regulation, or more serious problems with the heart. They could also be caused by stress or anxiety. Among all of the things I mention, perhaps thyroid problems would be the one condition that could tie all of your symptoms together, but it is just as likely that they symptoms are not all related to each other. Your primary care doctor will perform a physical examination and will probably also want to order some basic blood work. Any findings from the physical examination and the blood work will help them to narrow down the list of potential causes and get you back to feeling normal as quickly as possible. Make an appointment as soon as you can.