Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Kicked in pointer and middle fingers, hurts to move. What's wrong?"


I have massaged and iced it and it still hurts to move it, no swelling


I'm sorry to hear about your injury! You should definitely get this checked out by a doctor. Injuries to the hand like this can range from simple sprains that do not require any specific medical intervention to tendon ruptures and fractures of the small bones of the hand. One critical question that needs to be answered is whether this is a true emergency (requiring a visit to the emergency room) or something that you can wait and see your doctor about in the office.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Orthopedic surgeons near you

If you have any loss of feeling in the hand or if you notice any deformity of the fingers (such as one of the knuckles displaced), then you should definitely err on the side of going to the emergency room, where the doctors will be able immediately to perform x-rays and determine if you need to see an orthopedic doctor. If not, then calling your primary care doctor's office and getting in to an urgent care visit as quickly as possible is probably sufficient. In addition to ruling out a broken bone or ruptured tendon, your doctor will be able to recommend additional treatment, which might include splinting the involved fingers or taking anti-inflammatory medications. Go see a doctor as soon as possible.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.