I am a 75 yr old female and my blood pressure is 167/65. Is this normal?

I am a 75 yr old female and i take Diltiazem 24 hr ER 120 mg 2x/day, Clonidine HCL .3 mg 4x/day, Hydralazine 50 mg 3x/day, Lisinopril-HCTZ 20-12.5 mg 1x/day & Pindolol 10mg at bed time and my blood pressure is 167/65. Is this normal?
You are definitely taking a lot of medications to control your blood pressure! The blood pressure reading that you gave me has a normal diastolic number (the bottom number), but the systolic number (the top number) is still high. In most cases, this number should be under 140. Therefore, I would say that your blood pressure is still not totally under control. This is an issue that you should revisit with your primary care doctor. It might also be necessary to see a specialist, such as a kidney doctor, or to ask your primary care doctor to investigate for underlying causes of your high blood pressure other than "normal" high blood pressure in the setting of aging. For example, sometimes alterations in hormone levels in the blood, such as thyroid hormone or cortisol, can lead to high blood pressure that is persistently high even after taking multiple blood pressure medications simultaneously. Similarly, sometimes a narrowing in the arteries leading to the kidneys (renal artery stenosis) can cause this picture. Your doctor may want to perform a more detailed workup for these so-called "secondary causes of hypertension" because if one is identified it may be treatable. Make an appointment with your doctor today. Good luck!

Other Nephrologists