ZocdocAnswersHow do I solve this problem with my penis?

Question

How do I solve this problem with my penis?

A few days ago, I started to feel a burning sensation in my penis while urinating. It was a few hours after showering. Yesterday, I noticed that the top half of the inside of my penis seems to be stuck together by something grayish looking. I think I may have gotten soap inside of it when I showered, and I dont know how to "open up" that part of my penis hole. It is starting to worry me. What should I do? Anything before seeing a doctor?

Answer

I would suggest going right away to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine your penis and help you figure out what is going on. One of the most common causes of burning with urination in men is a sexually transmitted infection, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. The "grayish" substance that you are noticing might be discharge from an infection such as this. Generally, these infections can be diagnosed easily with some simple urine tests by your doctor. If positive, they are also easy to treat with common prescription antibiotics. Another possible cause of your symptoms, if you are not circumcised, is balanitis, which is an infection of the head of the penis under the foreskin. This can also cause an accumulation of pus-like material in the space under the foreskin. Usually, balanitis can be cleared up with good hygiene (cleaning regularly under the foreskin) together with topical antibiotic creams. Your doctor will be able to take a quick look and help you decide what to do, so make an appointment today. in the meantime, if there is any concern that this could be a sexually transmitted infection, you should avoid having intercourse in order to prevent any possible transmission