ZocdocAnswersCan genital rubbing on your period get you pregnant?

Question

Can genital rubbing on your period get you pregnant?

I was on my second day of my period of a regular 28 day cycle and my boyfriend rubbed his penis on my vagina for 2 seconds. Could I get pregnant?

Answer

The fact that you were in the middle of your period when this genital contact occurred definitely makes the possibility of pregnancy very low, because you are not fertile while you are menstruating. Therefore, I think you are probably safe. However, the only way to completely be certain is to discuss the issue with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. They know you best, and they will be able to help you decide whether any additional action is necessary at this time - such as emergency contraception, or a pregnancy test. Although the majority of sperm are found in the secretions that exit the penis with ejaculation, a small amount of sperm are still found in other secretions from the penis prior to ejaculation. For this reason, the only way to completely avoid becoming pregnant is either to use a form of chemical contraception (such as birth control pills) or to avoid complete contact between the genitals during both foreplay and intercourse (with a condom). In other words, it is possible to become pregnant from genital contact even if ejaculation does not occur. Make an appointment to see your doctor at your earliest convenience.