ZocdocAnswersIs a brown discharge after a late miscarriage normal?

Question

Is a brown discharge after a late miscarriage normal?

I had a late miscarriage at 19 weeks 5 days. I have had my period but that has now stopped and I am getting a brown discharge. Is this normal, because I feel disgusting. I am desperate to try for another baby but not sure whether or not I can try while this is still happening. Please help!!

Answer

I am very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. After a miscarriage, there can be some persistent vaginal discharge as the uterus returns back to its pre-pregnant state. It is not clear from your question exactly how long ago your miscarriage was, but certainly after the initial heavier bleeding with a miscarriage several additional weeks of some discharge would not be uncommon. The best thing to do would be to discuss this issue with your OB GYN doctor. They will want, regardless, to perform an examination to make sure things are returning to normal, so that they can give you a recommendation about when it is safe to start trying to become pregnant again. In addition, they can also consider other potential causes of your vaginal discharge (other than the miscarriage), which could include various forms of vaginal infections, such as bacterial vaginosis. They may want to take a sample of the vaginal discharge for analysis with a microscope, as this can often help figure out what is going on more quickly. Make an appointment with your OB GYN doctor at your earliest convenience. I hope you are feeling better soon!