ZocdocAnswersWhat is this painful, red, pea-sized lump between my hip and butt?

Question

What is this painful, red, pea-sized lump between my hip and butt?

It's been there for several months and hasn't changed in size. I'm on birth control-nuvaring.

Answer

Since this spot has been present for such an extended period of time without getting better, it is definitely time to have a doctor look at it, so that they can help you figure out what might be going on. You could start by going to see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist, if you have one. There are several different possibilities. One is that this could be an infection of the skin, such as a boil. Sometimes, these can last for quite a long while, especially if there is a collection of pus under the skin, as this will not go away unless it is opened and drained. Another possibility is that this might be a cyst under the skin, which could become reddened and painful if it was secondarily infected, or simple from the constant pressure of sitting on top of it. Cysts are benign, but they do often need to be surgically removed, because of the pain or because they continue to grow in size. Your doctor will be able to take a look and help you figure out what to do next. If there is an infection, you may need the area opened up and drained, or you may need a prescription for antibiotics. Book an appointment with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist today.