Why do my sides just below my ribs hurt?

I am a 17 year old female and for the past year or so I have been having sharp pains in my sides just below my rib cage. It comes and goes, but when I have it, it lasts for anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes. Why is this and is it treatable?
Since these symptoms have been going on for about a year without really going away or getting better, you should definitely go to see your primary care doctor or your adolescent medicine doctor for a checkup. They will be able to make sure there is nothing serious going on and also give you advice about treatment. One possibility is that this pain may represent muscle strain of either the abdominal muscles or the muscles between the ribs. This might occur if you are very physically active, or after lifting a heavy object. Another similar complaint is something called costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the joints where the ribs connect to the breastbone. Costochondritis can sometimes be a chronic condition which can last for quite a while and can give exactly the kinds of pains you are describing. Additionally, there are numerous other conditions involving the internal organs that can give sharp pains in this location. These conditions include things like gas, indigestion, and constipation, as well as more serious problem, such as inflammation in the gall bladder. Your doctor will be able to help you decide if additional workup is needed at this time, and can also give you advice about what to do for the pain. Book an appointment today!