ZocdocAnswersIs it generally safe to take Clonidine?

Question

Is it generally safe to take Clonidine?

Hi I am 23 Yrs old. I had asthma growing up but haven't had an attack in over 5 years and haven't used a pump for the same amount of time. I have a test that I cant't go over my target heart rate. Is it generally safe to take clonidine 0.3mg or nifedipine 60mg extended release? I also have amlodipine besylate 10mg.

Answer

This is a very difficult question to answer, as there are many details that need to be considered. First of all, how do you have access to so many medications? In general, the correct answer would be to take the medication as prescribed by your doctor, and discuss any concerns you have with him or her. All of those medications could be completely appropriate, or any single one of them could be a horrible choice. It all depends on why your heart can't go over that rate, what the test is, what allergies you have, what medical history you have, and what all of these are about. Clonidine will have to reduce your heart rate and make you feel more relaxed in many instances. Calcium channel blockers like nifedipine can also help with your heart rate, although neither is as commonly prescribed for rate control as are other medications such as beta blockers (a common example of a beta blocker would be Lopressor, or metoprolol). Amlodipine would be less likely to control your heart rate than the others. Please, speak with your doctor to determine what is best med for you to take. Book an appointment today.