Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is causing this very bad pain in my right hip above the pelvic bone?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing this very bad pain in my right hip above the pelvic bone?


It's also in my groin, leg, and knee. I was told over two years ago that I have a mild scoliosis curve to the right. I did see it on the xray, but my doctor said I have nothing to worry about. I was getting checked out for a back injury and the scoliosis was discovered by accident. The pain in my hip is unbearable. I was in a car accident almost 4 months ago and the hospital didn't check my pelvis or hip but I can't imagine this being from that long ago.


This pain is definitely something that you need to get checked out. I recommend going to talk with your primary care doctor or, if you have one, your orthopedic doctor. It is not clear from your question how old you are. However, in older adults, wear and tear arthritis in the hip joint (also known as osteoarthritis) is a serious and common problem. Therefore, if you are getting up there in years, this would be the first thing I would think of. Pain in the groin and knee could all be caused by a hip problem, as pain from the hip often will radiate out to those locations. Your doctor will probably want to start by getting some plain x-rays of the hip and pelvis, as these can often help make a diagnosis of arthritis and rule out other common problems. It may also be worthwhile to have your scoliosis reevaluated, as sometimes progressive scoliosis will cause progressive back pain, which may also radiate down and involve the hip. In addition to helping diagnose the problem, your doctor will be able to give you advice on treatment options, which could include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or, even, surgery in more advanced cases. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your orthopedic doctor today.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.