What is causing my bad breath?

26,male,176 cm,76kg bad breath for at least ten years. No smoke, no drink, brushing teeth twice everyday. Saliva turns smelly about half an hour after brushing teeth. Three times of gastroscope examinations. Shows chronic superficial gastritis and maybe a little helicobacter. Mouth. A little inflammation. Throat. Still a little inflammation. Chest x-ray examination. Nothing. I am suffered from bad breath for almost ten years and don't know why. Really appreciate if you can help find out the reason. Thank you a lot.
Sorry to hear that this has been such a persistent problem for you! The first question I would have is about the results from your most recent endoscopy. According to the information you provide, the endoscopy showed inflammation in the mouth and throat and Helicobacter infection in the stomach. Taken together, this all suggests that you have ongoing trouble with acid production and inflammation in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This could definitely cause your bad breath problems. Therefore, the first thing I would recommend is discussing these findings with a gastroenterologist, to see if treatment to eradicate the Helicobacter infection and to more aggressively suppress stomach acid production is in order. Next, it would be good to get a clean bill of health from your dentist, if you have not done so in a while. Inflammation or infection of the gums (gingivitis) or cavities of the teeth are one of the most common (and most easily treatable) causes of bad breath. Finally, your primary care doctor can investigate if you have any sinus congestion or nasal allergy component, as chronic nasal congestion and drainage of mucus into the back of the throat is another common cause of bad breath. Make an appointment today! Good luck!

Nearby Gastroenterologists

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Scott Weber
    Dr. Scott Weber MD
    Gastroenterologist
    232 East 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Jerome Breslaw
    Dr. Jerome Breslaw MD
    Gastroenterologist
    232 East 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Gabriel Magraner
    Dr. Gabriel Magraner MD, FACG
    Gastroenterologist
    150 E. Sonterra Blvd.
    San Antonio, TX 78258