how long does a pacemaker with defibrillator batteries last?

I've had the defibrillator and pace maker put in together 3 yrs ago. I've lost 50 lbs within that 3 years and now they say the batteries need replace after 3 yrs? Is that normal?
Pacemaker devices alone have much longer battery life than devices that also include a defibrillator component. This is because the defibrillator uses a lot more energy than the pacemaker component. This is especially the case if you have ever been "shocked" by your defibrillator, as the shock uses quite a bit of energy. Equipment malfunction, such as cracking in the electrical leads that feed into the device, can also drain the battery energy more rapidly than expected. Taken all together, therefore, it is possible that you need to replace your battery after just three years. This is part of the reason that your cardiologist has been regularly monitoring your device, so that they can let you know when it is time to set up a replacement. I would recommend setting up a visit with the cardiologist who implanted the device to talk about your options. They will be able to describe in more detail what replacing the battery of your device entails and answer any specific questions you might have, such as what restrictions you will have on activity after getting the device replaced, how long you will have to be in the hospital, and so on. Book an appointment your cardiologist today!

Other Cardiologists