How did I get HPV?

So I'm almost 18 and I've been with the same guy since i was 15. I was a virgin when I had sex with this guy for the first time, but he was not. We had sex when I was 16. I went on birth control shortly after this and had to get my first pap smear. The results came back perfect. no STDs or anything like that. I recently had my second papsmear a few months ago and i got a letter back saying that I tested positive for HPV.
This is something you should definitely discuss with your primary care doctor. HPV, or human papilloma virus, is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections. It is an important infection, because it can lead to the formation of genital warts and, in women, it can increase the risk of developing cervical cancer later in life. HPV is extremely common. It is passed through sexual contact, with a large proportion of all sexually active individuals eventually becoming exposed. The pap smear is typically used to screen for the precancerous changes in the cervix that can lead to cervical cancer. However, I have several concerns about your situation in particular. Young women your age may become infected with various HPV strains but tend to clear these strains rapidly (or come into contact with new strains). Also changes in the cervix do not correlate very well at this age with your risk for cervical cancer. Because of these and other reasons, it is actually not generally recommended at all for someone your age to be getting pap smears, unless there is another medical condition that raises your risk, such as HIV infection. Therefore, I would recommend talking with your primary care doctor, to figure out why they felt you needed this testing and how to interpret the results.