ZocdocAnswersI had sex after 16 hours of taking an emergency contraceptive pill. Do I need to take a pill again?

Question

I had sex after 16 hours of taking an emergency contraceptive pill. Do I need to take a pill again?

I HAD SEX ON 16TH NOV AND HAD TAKEN AN I-PILL ON 18TH NOVEMBER AT 11PM. ON 19TH NOV I HAD SEX AGAIN AT 5PM. DO I NEED TO TAKE A CONTRACEPTIVE PILL AGAIN?

Answer

The morning after pill is a large dose of contraception that is very effective at preventing implantation and pregnancy, and your doctor will be able to discuss its proper use with you. As for having sex after the pill is taken, there is very limited research to answer this question, but there is certainly a theoretical basis for believing that you may have had some protection from the first pill that you took. A pregnancy test will begin to be effective at answering this question in the very near future, and would be a worthy investment. Additionally, a multivitamin or other supplement with folate would be an excellent choice for any woman of child bearing age, as would the avoidance of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs. In short, there is no perfect answer for your question. Best case would have been to use protection and then follow the package instructions if you had to use the pill. Please speak with your doctor about the possibility of being pregnant right away.