ZocdocAnswersWhy is my foot is swollen and sore?

Question

Why is my foot is swollen and sore?

The top of my foot close to my ankle is swollen and painful. The pain and swelling spreads horizontally across the entire width of the top of my foot. When I rub it I can feel a very small bulb like object in the center of the swelling, what is this and should I be worried?

Answer

While it is unclear what exactly may have caused this pain and swelling, it certainly is not normal and should be evaluated by a doctor. Some things may make this even more urgent, such as if you have a history of diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, or any other chronic conditions that may make healing of your lower extremities more difficult. Regardless, if your condition persists, you should speak to a doctor. You will need to be able to provide him or her with some idea of a timeline, as well as any thoughts that you may have about what might have started the swelling. Trauma or injury to the area would certainly be relevant, and may explain all of your symptoms. Allergies or bites can also present in this area. The fact that it is on the top of your foot does make it seem more likely to be traumatic than anything else, however. The nice thing to know is that your doctor should be able to help make things feel better quite quickly if you are able to provide the appropriate information. Please speak to your doctor about your concerns to be able to get it taken care of in the right way.