ZocdocAnswersAre my headaches caused by a sinus infection or something more serious?

Question

Are my headaches caused by a sinus infection or something more serious?

It started out 5 days ago with a little trouble breathing, which went away in a day. After that I began experiencing bad daily headaches, a little nasal congestion, post nasal drip, shivers, weakness and a few low grade fevers. I did visit my primary doctor three days ago, but he hardly checked me, I was in and out and he didn't seem to care much. He went along with my first speculation of a sinus infection, prescribed me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. its been 5 days and my headaches are still persistent. The pain is dull, achy and I feel some pressure. I feel the pain in my scalp, temples and forehead on both sides. Pain killers do nothing for me, though I do notice some relief when walking outside in the cold or with a humidifier but I’m not sure if that’s just in my head. These are some of the worst headaches I've experienced. I’m a 19 year-old female usually in good health. Should I be worried?

Answer

If your headache is still persisting after this much time, it may be wise to speak with your doctor (or another, right?) about your complaints. Given that you are having so many symptoms and that they have been lasting about a week now, it may be appropriate to start with some antibiotics or other medications that can help to reduce your symptoms. That is, assuming that you really do have a sinus infection, which is assuming a lot. There are many possible explanations for the symptoms that you are having, but one of the common ones is certainly a sinus infection. Unfortunately, primary care doctors often have a hard time diagnosing these infections, as they do not have the proper equipment and have to rely on the patient's description of his or her symptoms. By visiting with an ear nose and throat surgeon (or ENT for short), he or she would be able to better diagnose and treat your complaint. They would likely do that by placing a small camera inside of your nose to see how bad things are. Additionally, they are very used to treating this condition. If it is a sinus infection, they will know how to treat it, and if it's not, they can get you headed in the right direction. Please speak to your doctor or an ENT as soon as you can.