ZocdocAnswersWhy can I hear myself wheezing?

Question

Why can I hear myself wheezing?

When I take a deep breath in -- mostly in the morning -- I sometimes can hear my lungs making this wheezing sound. It's a difficult sound to describe, and usually it is sort of low sounding. I have had this before for two days during the summer and the doctors gave me an inhaler to try, but they said I didn't have asthma. It worked, but now, four months later, I am experiencing it again. Although this time, I have had a cough for over a week. I'm not sure if the cough is somehow related. And I can feel it when I can hear it. It vibrates. Also, it always happens in my right lung. That's where it was last time, too. But last time I didn't have this cough. I went to the doctors a week ago and they said I was fine. My cough has gotten worse since then and I don't know if I should go back or not.

Answer

The best thing to do is consult your doctor about your ongoing symptoms. He or she can make appropriate recommendations. Given that you have seen a doctor within the last week, and he or she was not concerned, it does make me think that you may have some sounds in your lungs that are related to mucous in your throat or lungs rather than constriction of the actual airway. If this is the case, your doctor may be aware that all of these sounds will clear when you give a good cough, and that you may not necessarily need further care for the problem other than just normal care to recover from your current illness. As always, it never hurts to speak with your doctor. A cough, however, can often persist for more than a month after an illness has resolved. As this can be quite annoying, please speak to your doctor.