ZocdocAnswersWhat could my right side pain be, and what should I do?

Question

What could my right side pain be, and what should I do?

In 2008 I was having severe pain in my right side. I had a bunch of tests done and they found out my gallbladder was severely scarred. I had it removed in January 2009 and was free of pain for awhile. A few months later I started getting the pain again, and this pain is so bad it has me rolling on the floor crying in pain. Ever since then I've been to the doctors and emergency rooms with no diagnosis. Now I'm having a stabbing pain in my right rib cage that goes around under my right shoulder blade. I desperately need some help, I've been living with this pain for almost 5 years and I'm only 21.

Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such persistent pain for so many years. This is definitely not right, and you should work with your doctors to figure out what is going on. I think that you should find a primary care doctor whom you can work with over the long term to get to the bottom of this pain issue. The list of potential causes of your pain is very long. Probably your doctor will want to start by collecting all of your medical records and going through them to see what testing has already been done. If not much testing has been done, then they may start with an ultrasound of the abdomen and some basic blood work, as these are simple and noninvasive. Then, with these results in hand, they will have to consider the various causes of your pain, which could include scarring from your surgery, inflammation or spasm of the intestines, and many other things as well!