ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pinkish spots on the tip of my penis?

Question

Why do I have pinkish spots on the tip of my penis?

It's irritating, also have a soft bump. what can it be?

Answer

It would be a good idea to have your primary care doctor take a look at this. They should be able to help you figure out what is going on and what the treatment needs to be. Obviously the first thing to rule out would be a sexually transmitted infection. For example, herpes is a viral infection that can cause painful blisters or ulcers on the shaft and tip of the penis. The human papilloma virus causes fleshy, irregular warts that can likewise appear anywhere on the penis. In addition to sexually transmitted infections, there are also inflammatory conditions of the skin on the penis that can cause pinkish spots. For example both eczema and psoriasis can occur on the penis. Your doctor will take a good look and should be able to tell what is going on based on how, exactly, the pinkish spots look. If this is a sexually transmitted infection, then treatment with antibiotic or antiviral medications may be indicated. If these are warts, then they may need to be removed with freezing or another method. If this is eczema or psoriasis, then a topical steroid cream may be the first step in clearing things up. Good luck!