Book now. It's free!

What could cause lower abdominal pain and pressure?

I'm a 25 year old female and I've been having pains and pressure in my lower abdomen for the past few days. What could be the problem?
There are many different things that can cause abdominal discomfort, and the best way to help figure out what might be causing your symptoms is to see your primary care physician. He or she can get more details about your discomfort and medical history and then examine you to help get you feeling better. Overall, it is often helpful to think about the causes of abdominal pain relative to its location. In a young woman, the ovaries or uterus can sometimes cause abdominal pain (ovarian cysts, menstrual cramping, sexually transmitted infections including pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, and pregnancy). Your doctor will likely want to ask about your menstrual history and whether or not you are sexually active. Bladder or kidney problems (cystitis, infections, and stones) can also cause pain in the abdomen, with symptoms often being aggravated by urination. Finally, conditions affecting the intestines (infections, irritable bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, diverticulitis, and constipation) can also cause pain or pressure in the lower abdomen. It will be helpful for your doctor to hear more about any other associated symptom such as fevers, travel, association of the pain with eating or certain foods, or any changes in bowel habits. Hopefully meeting with your doctor will help suggest a more specific diagnosis for your symptoms so you can be back to your normal self soon! Book an appointment today!