Why is my eye bloodshot?

I am a 35 year old woman and I've had a bloodshot eye for the past few days, I can't get it to go away. What should I do?
There are many reasons that your eye may be blood shot (conjunctivitis, as it is known to doctors), and this is a very common condition that your primary care doctor can help address. The most important thing to be sure of is that your vision remains good. If there have been any changes in your vision, you should see an eye doctor, or even your primary care doctor, immediately. This could be a sign of something serious that needs to be addressed. If your vision is fine, there are several possible causes, most of which are not potentially dangerous to your vision if they are corrected in a timely manner. Redness is most often a manifestation of irritation, and so anything that would irritate your eye could cause redness. Likewise, anything that decreases irritation will often lead to improvement. Minor trauma can often happen, even while you sleep, and can lead to a red eye. This will usually improve slowly over a few days. Dry eyes can also lead to redness, as can sunburn or allergies. Wearing contacts too much without cleaning or other problems with contacts can also cause irritation. Frequent rubbing from any other reason will also lead to irritation. Please speak to your eye doctor or primary care doctor to determine what may be causing your red eye. I hope your eye gets better soon!

Nearby Eye Doctors

Other Eye Doctors