ZocdocAnswersHow can I get relief from sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucination?

Question

How can I get relief from sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucination?

I finally figured out why my nights were so intense after being diagnosed with sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucination. However it seems complicated and I'm confused about what I can do for relief.

Answer

This is something I would recommend discussing with your primary care doctor or a sleep medicine specialist. Sleep paralysis, as you probably have figured out from reading, is a condition in which the body's normal relaxed muscular state during deep REM sleep persists into awakening. This is not dangerous, but it can be quite frightening, because it essentially means that the person who suffers from it wakes up unable to move their body for a few minutes. This may also be associated with some hallucinations, again due to the persistence of "sleep state" into waking. Occasional episodes of this don't always need to be treated, because just knowing what is going on is often enough to put one's mind at rest. If the episodes are more frequent then it can be helpful to figure out why. There is a strong association between sleep deprivation and sleep paralysis, so working to improve your sleep schedule is often a place to start. If this doesn't work, then working with your primary care doctor or your sleep medicine doctor to consider other possibilities may be indicated. For example, sometimes anti-anxiety medications are tried, as these can be helpful, as they may either reduce the severity of the episodes or at least diminish the anxiety associated with them.