ZocdocAnswersDo ovarian cysts affect pregnancy?

Question

Do ovarian cysts affect pregnancy?

My daughter is 17 years old and she was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Though she's not having kids anytime soon I'm worried about her fertility. Is it affected by these cysts?

Answer

I think that your daughter and you should talk a bit more with her regular doctor or her OB GYN doctor to get a specific answer to your question. I say this because there are basically two circumstances in which cysts in the ovaries could be diagnosed. The first, and most likely possibility is that these are functional cysts in the ovaries. Basically, the normal process of ovulation every month produces cysts in the ovaries as part of the body's regular cycle. If an ultrasound is done, these are often picked up and the diagnosis of ovarian cysts is given. This emphatically does not, however, mean that this is a disease; rather it means that the ovaries are doing what they are supposed to do! On the other hand, if the ultrasound shows that both ovaries are full of many cysts, rather than just the scattered functional cysts I mentioned above, then this could be a condition, known as polycystic ovarian syndrome. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, unlike regular functional ovarian cysts, can be sometimes associated with trouble with fertility as well as irregular periods and other problems. Talk to your daughter's doctor, who will be able to clarify this issue for you and give you additional direction.