ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if my sprained ankle seems to be taking ages to heal?

Question

What should I do if my sprained ankle seems to be taking ages to heal?

I'm a 23 year old male and my sprained ankle has been taking a long time to heal. Is there something wrong with it?

Answer

Sprained ankles can be a very frustrating injury because they can indeed take a long time to recover. In order to determine whether or not there is a problem with your recovery, it will be important to consider a few important details. First, when you initially injured the ankle, were you evaluated by a physician? A sprained ankle may seem like a trivial injury and many people will not seek immediate medical attention, but if this was a self-diagnosed injury and it has been several weeks without improvement, it is possible that you may have sustained more significant damage such as a torn ligament or tendon which may not heal without surgical intervention. Second, how long is a long time to heal? A few days can seem like a long time to a young and active person, and unfortunately joint injuries will often take weeks to return to normal function. On the other hand, if it has been weeks and you are still unable to use the leg normally and experiencing significant pain, this may well be a sign that something else is going on. The best thing to do in this situation is to either go back to the physician who first evaluated the injury or to see your primary care physician about an evaluation and potential referral to an orthopedic specialist. Book an appointment today! Hopefully you'll get some answers soon!