Click to book now:

Does a high glucose level mean I have diabetes?

I got my blood test results back today and I had a high level of glucose. I know glucose levels are related to diabetes, does this mean I might have diabetes?
Diabetes Mellitus is a condition in which glucose is not metabolized correctly and results in hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). There are two main types of diabetes - type 1 and type 2. Diabetes can be diagnosed at any age. Both your primary care physician and endocrinologist can help with further evaluation of the high glucose seen on your blood tests. In order to make a diagnosis, your physician will need to obtain a few more tests. It is also important to note whether or not you were fasting when the blood tests were done. One way to diagnosis diabetes is with two fasting blood sugar levels greater than 126. Impaired glucose tolerance can be a stepping point to true diabetes. Impaired glucose tolerance is a state where your body does not use insulin to metabolize glucose appropriately, but is still able to keep fasting glucose levels under control. It is the post-prandial levels (glucose level 2 hours after eating) that are affected. This can be tested with an oral glucose tolerance test. You should follow up with you primary care physician to discuss the results, possible contributing factors to a false level, other symptoms that you may have, and further testing that should be obtained. Your primary care physician may refer you to an endocrinologist.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!