ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms for a urinary tract infection symptoms?

Question

What are the symptoms for a urinary tract infection symptoms?

I'm a 27 year old female and I have lots of pain when I go to the bathroom. Is this a UTI?

Answer

You should discuss this issue with your doctor. Symptoms of a urinary tract infection (or UTI) can vary from person to person. Symptoms can include burning or pain with urination (dysuria), lower abdominal / pelvic pain, foul-smelling urine, cloudy urine, blood in the urine (hematuria) and increased urinary frequency (possibly without much urine output). Older individuals with urinary tract infections may not have any of these symptoms, and may only present with non-specific findings such as fever and confusion. Generally, simple and uncomplicated urinary tract infections are easily treated with a short course of oral antibiotics. Usually 3 days is sufficient for treatment for a young and otherwise healthy woman. If left untreated, the bacteria responsible for the UTI can travel from the bladder up to the kidneys and cause a more severe infection known as pyelonephritis. This often presents with fever, chills and flank pain. Your symptom of pain with urination is likely related to a UTI, though other conditions such as kidney stones can present in a similar way. It is advised that you be evaluated at your local health clinic / primary care physician. A more thorough medical history can be taken, and if a UTI is suspected, then a urine sample can be collected for analysis (and possibly culture) and antibiotics can be prescribed if there is evidence of infection.