ZocdocAnswersWhat is the prognosis for degenerative scoliosis?

Question

What is the prognosis for degenerative scoliosis?

I have degenerative scoliosis, and I wanted to know what the effects can be on my body over time. ?

Answer

Degenerative scoliosis is a condition in which the spine starts to deteriorate and bend. It is most common in older adults, and especially women. It is though that a combination of genetic factors and regular aging contribute to degenerative scoliosis. Also, especially in women, osteoporosis (low bone density) plays a big role, in part by predisposing to the development of fractures in the spinal vertebrae which can accelerate the changes. If you've been diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis, then it will be important to have good follow-up with your primary care doctor and also your orthopedic doctor. For your doctors, probably the first priority will be treating any osteoporosis if you have it, typically with calcium supplements and other medications. Additionally, physical therapy and other forms of exercise or probably indicated. By far the most common symptom of early degenerative scoliosis is pain in the back. If this does not respond to exercise and physical therapy, then your doctors may also want to add medications specifically for treating the pain. Occasionally, in more severe cases of degenerative scoliosis, braces or surgery may be indicated, but your doctors will be able to follow you closely and let you know if you are getting to that stage.