ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause those little balls of skin under the eye?

Question

What can cause those little balls of skin under the eye?

I'm having little balls of skin under my eye. Where are they coming from? Is this a sign of something bad?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been having a new issue with balls appearing under your eyes. While they may be something very common that can happen to anyone, it could also be a sign of a more serious condition. For this reason, you should speak to your primary care doctor before just dismissing them as not a big deal. Many times, these spots underneath your eyes will represent normal skin changes that can either be ignored or treated with simple skin care regimens that will help to debride the skin that appears different. At other times, however, bumps around the eyes can represent conditions as serious as a sign of very high cholesterol, which would need to be treated to prevent serious medical problems like heart attacks or strokes. Additionally, the bumps could be from a recent eye infection or something else that affects the skin around the eye. As you can see, there is a great deal of variability that is difficult to diagnose and discuss without meeting face to face. As with most of these situations, if you have a question about what is happening, you should meet with your doctor to discuss the problem.