How should I prepare to travel to the Maldives?

I'm going to the Maldives this May for vacation, and I know there might be tropical diseases in the area. What precautions should I take?
Congratulation on your travel plans! I hope you have an exciting and restful vacation. It is always a good idea to make an appointment with your primary care doctor before traveling, just to make sure all of your shots are up to date, medications renewed, etc. Many communities also have specialized travel clinic which may be able to accommodate you if your primary care doctor is unable to do so. In addition, there are really great travel health website that can be of use to you as you prepare for your travel. These website typically list the types of diseases that are found in the destination country and make recommendations about what vaccines you might need or what medications you might need to bring with you. As just one example, there is a great website maintained by the Centers for Disease Control that gives recommendations to travelers from the USA. That website can be found at: Generally, for travel to the Maldives, being up to date on standard vaccinations, such as tetanus, hepatitis A, and hepatitis B is recommended. Additionally, dengue fever is found in the Maldives, which is avoided by using insect repellant. Importantly, malaria medications are not needed in the Maldives. Again, please speak with your doctor.