ZocdocAnswers"What illness might I have with symptoms including headache, neck pain, nausea, and vomiting?"

Question

"What illness might I have with symptoms including headache, neck pain, nausea, and vomiting?"

I've been in quite the sick state. I'm a 40 year old man suffering from headache, neck pain, nausea, and vomiting. Any idea what I could have? I've tried googling it and no luck.

Answer

Your symptoms sound most unpleasant, and there is indeed a wide range of things that could be causing your symptoms. For that reason, the best thing for you to do is to make an appointment with your primary care doctor right away. He or she will want to know more about each of your complaints, including when they started and if they seem to occur together. For example, are the headache and neck pain new, or did they start with the abdominal discomfort and vomiting? In addition, several other details about your health history (recent travel, other health conditions, your medications) will also be very helpful in narrowing the list of possibilities. Of course a physical exam and possibly some laboratory testing will also be a part of diagnosing what is causing all of this. In general, acute onset of all of the symptoms you describe can be associated with a range of infections, including viral illness of the central nervous system or the gastrointestinal tract. Depending on how much you've been vomiting, you may have strained a muscle in your neck and you could also be dehydrated which could trigger a headache. In addition, in some people a severe migraine headache can lead to nausea and vomiting. In order to piece together what is causing your complaints, you should see a physician immediately.