ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned about an abnormal blood test result?

Question

Should I be concerned about an abnormal blood test result?

I got a voicemail today saying I had abnormal blood test results... is this something I should be worried about?

Answer

The best thing for you to do in this kind of situation is to consult the physician that called you about the abnormal blood test. Anytime your physician's office checks labs they will need to follow up with you about the results, and sometimes what will be flagged as 'abnormal' is actually a minor variation that is not of any clinical significance. However, it is also possible that your doctor may have discovered evidence of an underlying disease process. This, after all, is why routine health appointments and screening labs are performed. Depending on why you went to see your doctor (ie for an annual visit or with a specific complaint), these labs may relate to your underlying reason for making an appointment. If you are worried about getting bad news, you can always make an appointment to see if you can receive your results in person. In addition, you can also make sure that you have someone with you when you get the results, whatever they might be. Overall though, you are doing the right thing by keeping up regular physician visits because this is how to protect your health over the long term. Book an appointment with your physician today to follow up on these test results!