ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about clustered red bumps on tip of my tongue being herpes?

Question

Should I be worried about clustered red bumps on tip of my tongue being herpes?

I'm afraid I might have herpes. There are these red bumps in clusters on the tip of my tongue. Any chance it's not herpes?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are concerned about having herpes, and also that you have some bumps on your tongue. This is a question you should discuss with your doctor. It is almost impossible to say if you have contracted herpes without knowing more information about your symptoms, and perhaps without even looking at the bumps. It is often necessary to do a swab or otherwise obtain information about them so that you can know for sure what is going on. If you have exposure and have symptoms or labwork consistent with herpes, then it is quite possible that you have contracted herpes. Many people are exposed to the virus, and have the subsequent symptoms. If you are one of these people, you will need to speak with your doctor, as there are things that can be done to reduce your symptoms and also to help you not to spread the virus to other people. Other things can also cause bumps on the tongue. Some of these are infectious, but bumps are often due to minor trauma, like a bite or a burn. The tongue does usually heal quite quickly, however, so if you note that these spots are painful, growing, or do not resolve quickly, or if you have other questions or concerns, you should speak to your doctor.