How can I find relief for pain and numbness in my left thigh?

In my left thigh I've been feeling pain and numbness for a few days. Stretching doesn't seem to help. What should I be doing instead?
Since this issue has been persistent for a few days without getting better, it would be a good idea to see your primary care doctor for an evaluation. They will be able to perform a physical examination, ask some questions, and help narrow down the potential causes of your symptoms. When you go to see them, make sure to mention if you've ever had any symptoms like this before (and, if so, in what context) and if you've ever had problems with back injuries or back pain. One possibility would be compression of a nerve in the lower spinal column. This is a common problem that can be caused by heavy lifting and other injuries to the back. Usually, in addition to pain or numbness in the leg, there will be also significant pain or stiffness in the lower back as well. Typically, this will respond well to anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy. Another condition that is common is something called lateral femoral nerve entrapment syndrome, which involves pinching of one of the branches of the nerves that feed the upper surface of the thigh, usually from compression by soft tissue in the abdomen. Start by booking an appointment with your doctor for an evaluation.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Sylmara Chatman
    Dr. Sylmara Chatman MD
    17603 West 10 Mile Road
    Southfield, MI 48075
  • Dr. Jonathan Lown
    Dr. Jonathan Lown MD
    2171 Jericho Tpke
    Commack, NY 11725