ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if my tonsils have sores?

Question

What should I do if my tonsils have sores?

I noticed the other day that my tonsils have sores. I was trying to ignore them but they keep popping back up. What should I do, and what might I have?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are continuing to have difficulty with this. I recommend discussing the issue with your doctor. Tonsil sores could be from many different things, and the most likely possibility for you might be different than it would be for someone else. If you are young and otherwise healthy, there is a good chance that they are either some sort of low grade infection or something that is otherwise not terribly concerning (one possibility includes tonsil stones, or tonsilliths, which are little impactions that can be made when food packs into the crypts in the tonsil). You don't seem to mention any other complications or effects, such as pain or fever, which leads me to believe that you are just noticing them rather than suffering from them. If you are older and are noticing continuous sores on your tonsil (or anywhere else for that matter), it would make your doctor think about different possibilities. Much of what your doctor thinks and does depends on who you are and what is most likely for your age group. Also, what they look like would be important. Again, please speak with your doctor about these sores.