ZocdocAnswersWhat are the options on solving prostate problems?

Question

What are the options on solving prostate problems?

I'm 46 years old and I'm experiencing prostate problems. Lately it seems to be swelling, and I have pain when I urinate. What should I do to treat it?

Answer

I would recommend starting with a trip to either your primary care doctor or your urologist for an evaluation. They will be able to help you figure out what exactly the problem with your prostate gland is and what needs to be done about it. The fact that you have pain with urination suggests that you may have prostatitis, which is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Symptoms do often include pain with urination, as well as pelvic discomfort or trouble with sex. Prostatitis can usually be diagnosed with just a physical examination, which typically includes a rectal examination to allow the size and inflammation of the prostate to be more directly measured. Typically, the first step in treatment for prostatitis is to take anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen around the clock. Additionally, if there is evidence of infection in the prostate, your doctor may want to prescribe a course of antibiotics. The other major prostate issue that could be occurring is benign prostatic hypertrophy, which causes symptoms such as incomplete emptying of the bladder and weak urine stream. However, unless there is a secondary infection of the urine, pain with urination is less common. This condition is often treated with medications to help open up the prostate gland and relieve the obstruction. Speak with your doctor today!