Why are my veins occasionally protruding causing a painful burning sensation?

My veins occasionally bulge through my skin, and it gets painful and burns when this happens. It's a little perplexing, why is this happening? What does it mean?
It would be important to known exactly where these troublesome veins are located in order to give you a definitive answer, but it sounds most likely that you are dealing with varicose veins. Varicose veins occur when the pressure inside the veins causes their walls to thin out and bulge outwards. This occurs almost always just in veins in the feet and legs, because the pressure on the veins there is higher than elsewhere in the body. Varicose veins are more common in women than in men, especially around pregnancy. Varicose veins can become irritated and inflamed, which leads to the painful burning sensation that you are describing. The can also itch, or they may lead to swelling in the feet or ankles. I would recommend going to see your primary care doctor about this issue, as they will be able to take a look at the areas where you have noticed this problem and confirm whether or not these are varicose veins. If so, the treatment is generally supportive, with measures like elevating the legs and using compression stockings. Sometimes, however, in more severe cases, surgery may be needed to help remove particularly troublesome veins. Please speak with your doctor today.