Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do if I have penile discharge and it is painful to ejaculate? Does this affect fertility? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if I have penile discharge and it is painful to ejaculate? Does this affect fertility?


I'm a 33-year-old man and I'm kind of worried about discharge that has been coming out of my penis recently. It hurts to ejaculate. Is this curable? Would it affect my fertility down the line?


These symptoms are definitely concerning and you should go to see your primary care doctor for an evaluation as soon as you possibly can. Given the pain with ejaculation and the discharge from the tip of your penis I would be most worried about ruling out a sexually transmitted infection like chlamydia or gonorrhea, as these are the infections that are most likely to cause these kinds of symptoms. Other symptoms might also include pain or burning with urination. There are simple laboratory tests for these sexually transmitted infections which are usually run on a urine sample and come back in a few days. If they are positive, your doctor will be able to give you the necessary antibiotic prescriptions to help clear up the infections. The antibiotics are effective, and there is not usually any lasting damage done. In the meantime, while waiting to see your doctor, you should avoid having unprotected sexual intercourse, because if this is a sexually transmitted infection it will be highly contagious and you might pass it on to your partner. Please make an appointment to see your primary care doctor right away, and I hope that you are feeling better very soon.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.