ZocdocAnswersWhat are some possible abortion complications?

Question

What are some possible abortion complications?

I need to get an abortion for an accidental pregnancy, but I'm not really sure what the complications are and I'm kind of nervous. I'm 26 and I've never had a kid before.

Answer

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I recommend that you get in to see your OB GYN doctor as quickly as you can. They will be able to guide you through the process of obtaining an abortion and they can explain all of the various options that are available to you. The two main types of abortion that are available are medical abortion and surgical abortion. Medical abortion involves taking pills to induce the abortion, and it is typically used only for early abortions, before about 2 months of pregnancy. Surgical abortion involves extracting the pregnancy from the uterus directly, and this can be performed both early and also after the 2 month cut off. Both types of abortion are safe, although both do carry certain risks which your doctor can explain to you in more detail. The most common side effects of a medical abortion are severe cramping and bleeding. Occasionally, a medical abortion will not be effective and will require a secondary surgical abortion. Surgical abortions also carry the risk of bleeding; additional, the risk of infection is a consideration in surgical abortion. Start by making an appointment with your OB GYN doctor to discuss your options.