What can cause itching in the vaginal area?

I have itchiness near my vaginal area that isn't going away. What might be causing this and how can I treat it?
There are many different things that can cause vaginal itching, and the best way to determine what exactly is causing your symptoms right now is to see your primary care doctor or gynecologist. He or she will want to hear more about your symptoms and when they started. If you have recently been on a course of antibiotics, that could put you at risk for a vaginal yeast infection. If you have recently had a new sexual partner and have not been using barrier protection, you could have acquired a sexually transmitted infection. In some women, the balance of normal bacteria in the vagina can also be disrupted leading to an overgrowth of a certain type of bacteria which, although not an infection, can cause some irritation. A pelvic exam and microscopy evaluation of any discharge will be the best way to identify what is causing your discomfort. Fortunately, all of these things can be treated. A yeast infection can be eliminated with an oral antifungal medication with topical cream to help with the itching. Sexually transmitted infections can be treated with appropriate antibiotics, and bacterial vaginitis can also be eliminated with an oral medication. Book an appointment with your primary care doctor or gynecologist right away. Hopefully you will be feeling better very soon!

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045