ZocdocAnswersHow successful is reversal of female sterilisation?

Question

How successful is reversal of female sterilisation?

If I were to get sterilised now and wanted to get it reversed later, what would be my chances of having kids in the future?

Answer

Sterilization through tubal ligation is a common procedure. This is a minor surgical procedure in which the fallopian tubes that run from the ovaries to the uterus are tied or cut so that the eggs can no longer travel down the fallopian tubes and enter the uterus. For all intents and purposes, sterilization through tubal ligation should be considered a permanent procedure. In other words, if you are potentially interested in getting pregnant again later in life, then this is not a good option for you, and you should talk with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about alternative methods for preventing pregnancy. There certainly are cases in which tubal ligations are reversed, using techniques similar to those used to treat infertility in women with scarring in their fallopian tubes. However, these techniques are complex and are variably successful. The success of the reversal does depend somewhat on the exact technique that was used to perform the ligation in the first place, but in any case success is never guaranteed. Your doctor will be able to discuss at length with you the other options for contraception other than tubal ligation that are available to you, many of which are excellent! Book an appointment today!